Monday, August 26, 2013

6 meses! En la mission!!!

  Can you believe that I have been out on my mission for six whole months!!! I can't believe it myself! Man the saying is true "Time flies when you are having fun".
 
    Well this is my first week in my new area. And I have to say that I'm loving it here. My new area is really challenging but I know that we can get things going here. I am in LA 3rd ward. Our ward building is the Old LA stake Center!!! This is an awesome building. If you have the time look it up (minus the Missionaries). There is a photo in the hall of Heber J. Grant digging up the Cornerstone in 1928! I am so excited to be working in this ward.
 
   My new comp is Elder Palomino Nacio en Mexico and was raised in Mesa, AZ. I like him a lot he is obedient and very personable. I am lucky to have him. He has only been out for a year. With me and him we have 4 companionships in the ward. All Elders. This is a great Area.... its actually quite nice and calm!  I'm a little weirded out by it now haha. Elder Palomino's last area was Watts so he is out of his norm as well. My Area is part of Korea Town so there is a large Korean Population, but every one else is Latin so BONUS for us. It is a jumbo sized area and we are on bike so my legs are going to be massive!!!

  We have a great apartment and so far I have been 4 for 4 on no bugs so that makes me happy! It's pretty roomy and the best part of the place..... It has a AC!!! I'm the luckiest person in the whole world haha. Things are working out and I'm so happy.

  So far no cool stories!  Me and Elder Palomino got chased by a dog the other day as we were walking into a members yard for dinner haha. And a super cool thing is that we are starting an English Program in the mission called LA English. This is a way cool English program that we are focusing on to bring people to the church. It has a website and we are passing out flyers to advertise. My comp is going to be one of the teachers for this unit. This is a really exciting thing for missionary work here. Knocking on doors is hard here because of its city like apartments so this is a great way to find people who speak Spanish!!!

   For things from home I would love Pictures to put in my picture book!! And this is for any one who would like to send me some. I am making a collection of pictures of all the great people in my life. Also mom I loved the socks and if you could get a tie for my new comp. Kind of a present for him that would be awesome.

  My spiritual Dulce! for the week is Matt. 5 14-16 Scripture mastery "Ye are the light of the world" This is an awesome scripture for missionary and member alike to remember that we are to be the lights that through our example we can bring people to the gospel. We can talk to people until we are blue in the face but, unless we live it, nobody will change and find the joy that comes from the Gospel.

 This is all from me for this week Ladies and Gentlemen!  Remember that Elder Chriss loves you and prays for you. Life is what we make it. I Hope to hear from you all soon.
 
Con Gran Amor
    Elder Chriss
 
PS - Forgot my Camera at home so no pics this week.
 
 
 
Here's a link to the Spanish/English classes he was talking about!
 
 
 
I did a little research on the Church that Elder Chriss is talking about. The stake center, listed as a City of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument, is as unique among Los Angeles churches today as it was when it was built more than 70 years ago. Its unusual style — art deco with distinctive Spanish themes — was purposely designed by Church architect Harold W. Burton to no specific architectural design so as to avoid dating the building. Brother Burton had also designed the Alberta, Hawaii and Oakland temples.

The interior is unusually ornate for a Latter-day Saint chapel. The stained-glass windows along its north side include Christian emblems such as a dove and chalice as well as images important to Latter-day Saints, such as the beehive, representing industry.

Above the choir seats is a stained-glass representation of "Christ as the Light of the World" from the Victorian painting of the same name by William Holman Hunt (1827-1910). The chapel has its original chandeliers, solid mahogany pews, hand-stenciled walls and timbers and an 18-rank Austin pipe organ. ~Lisa
 

No comments:

Post a Comment